Friday, January 13, 2012

Oh, Why Not?

Howdy doo, everyone and Happy Friday!

Weeeeell, after transitioning our Christmas tree on the kitchen island into a Valentine tree, I decided I just couldn't let it stop there ... so, the "love" started to spread ... it's contagious, I tell ya'!  I thought I'd share a few elements I used to create a budget-friendly Valentine mantel, and I hope to inspire a few of you to do the same!

First up ... the reason for the upcoming holiday!  Remember my "Believe" blocks from our Christmas mantel?  Well, I simply flipped a few of them around, painted them crimson red (with craft paint I already had on hand) and hot glued inexpensive, curly letters (from Michael's that I purchased with a 40% off coupon) ... instant "LOVE!"


So, ya' don't want to spend money on Valentine candles?!  No worries, friends ... just add a small bit of decorative red ribbon to one (or ten!) of your simple white candles, which I KNOW you have on hand!  Look(!), instant Valentine whimsy:


I'm also willing to bet that you have a white vase or something similar hanging around.  Why not grab a few faux *Spring-y* florals from your collection and mix in a bit of red berry *Valentine-y* florals:


And, hmmmm, as the crowning touch, do you happen to have an inexpensive heart made out of *faux* roses?  If not, then think about skipping on over to Big Lots and grab one (better yet, make one of your own, you crafty gals, you).  And, THEN ... why not frame it with a picture frame (that you're currently not using) and layer both of those on top of a mirror?!  I love adding layers, EXCEPT for layers of fat, which I seem to have added a LOT of lately (gee, thanks, holiday season) ... true story !!


After adding a few more simple, on-hand goodies, here's our first *eva* Valentine mantel:




Okay, so, how'd I do?  And, now, it's *your* turn ... show me what 'cha got!

Happy Decorating,

Linking up with:

At the Picket Fence/Inspiration Friday
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia/Tuesday's Treasures
52 Mantels/Mantel Party
A Stroll Thru Life/Tabletop Tuesday
Savvy Southern Style/WUW
Dear Lillie/Valentine's Party

47 comments:

  1. Super cute! Love your Valentine mantel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. every time I think you've outdone yourself...you go and blow me away again with your creativity!

    i L-O-V-E your valentine's inspiration, especially that pillow from Big Lots and the ribbon covered candles....gotta keep those in mind.

    news coming soon, watch for it on my blog...

    judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca- Everything is looking just gorgeous. I LOVE it! You did a wonderful job. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! Just enough pops of red to make it complete. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mantel is beautiful. I will be copying the ribbon on the candles idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becca, I LOVE the mantle!! Everything looks so cute =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, there you go again! LOL! How cute is that?! You just keep outdoing youself!! I love it! I can feel the L-O-V-E!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited about Valentine's Day. Can't wait to start decorating our place too.

    http://www.thegirlieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is darling, Becca! The letters are fabulous and I love all the detail. Wonderful job!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becca, is gorgeous!!!!
    I love the letters! And the wreath is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I especially love how you used those same blocks from Christmas. Now that is efficient! I love an idea that also helps with saving space on decor too. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your so funny! The mantle is as adorable as the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty, Becca! I love that rose wreath and it looks great layered like that. Love your "LOVE" blocks, too. Those letters are perfect for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl you are amazing!! I LOVE IT! Love those mercury glass candle holders and that heart wreath. Oh and let's not forget your "LOVE" sign. Beautiful as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are SO inspiring Becca, I love it. The candles look gorgeous on those silver stands!
    Happy Saturday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are just too amazing! Great idea for the candles and I love that you re purposed your BELIEVE blocks. I stenciled on two sides of pillows this year one side for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas. Love two for the price of one decorating. You also inspired me to do a Valentine tree. I'm working on one right now. You're amazing Becca!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE...literally.
    I hope HGTV is watching your blog!
    You should have your own show.You are sooo talented.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Darling Becca!!! What a sweet charming mantel!! I love the wreath too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty. Please come to my house and work your magic.
    Puh-lezzzz!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just beautiful as always! Thanks for the tip on the ribbon around the candles!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh so pretty! I love coming over to visit your blog. You always inspire!
    Sherry's Bees Nest

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so cute! I love your simple and cheap ideas, they're right up my ally! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It all looks so cute, Becca. I especially like the rose heart on the mirror.
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute, cute, cute. You are so clever. I love it all. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it!!! I might have to copy the Love Blocks! You are sooooo creative and pretty too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous, everything looks so pretty and elegant. xo Liz

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just love your mantle, Becca. It's so, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it!! I love the unexpected like the bows wrapped on the candles! You are soooooo good! I think the love plaques are perfect. I am feeling all the love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fire place looooooks great!!!!!!!!!

    Mark @ room363

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love it! So pretty and festive! Thanks for sharing!

    And, thanks for linking up at our ongoing link party!! You're welcome to add any other mantels you have!

    ReplyDelete
  31. L-O-V-E!!!!! IT!!!!! GIRL YOU ARE AMAZING... I just want to move in and never leave decorating heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  32. it's absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!
    would love you to link up to Summit St's Handmade Valentine Party! :)
    happy valentine's & great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your LOVE letters! The whole mantel looks great.
    You have inspired me to maybe have my own first "eva" Valentine mantel.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's gorgeous! I love it, Becca! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Becca, your mantle is lovely and great for the "Love month" as we approach February!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fabulous. Beautiful. I LOVE it!!! You are amazing and thanks for some great ideas too! Love the wreth LAYERED over the mirror! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOVE it! The layering is great! I was organizing the dreary basement with the hubs and found some great stuff for the mantel. Snuck upstairs with it and started creating the V-day mantel. He couldn't figure out where I'd disappeared to! Oh well, a gal needs to create when the mood strikes!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just wanted to let you know that I'm highlight this at this week's mantel monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. So what do I got? Well...my mantel needs some serious work! Love yours! I also love the way you so creatively repurposed items you already had on hand. Your mantel is gorgeous! I love all the molding. My fireplace is a corner fireplace and I wish I would have had it centered on the wall but I didn't want a huge hole in my roof for venting.

    I'm sure I'll be a frequent visitor!

    ~Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  40. Becca, I used the mantle picture for the "cover" picture on FB timeline, is that ok? I've been featuring different Valentines mantles as cover pix.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The mantel look great, love all the red.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!